Friday, September 5, 2008

Miller's Tale by G.A. Hauser

Six hours of overtime later, Steve ended up crawling into bed at ten am and closed his eyes in complete exhaustion. When the phone rang he almost cried in agony.

"Yeah?"

"I just wanted to make sure you were all right."

"Sonja!" He sat up in bed.

"I saw the news and I was really freaked out you were on that horrible scene."

"I was all right. It was really mostly over when we got there. We just had to clean up after the mess."

"I was sick over it, Steve."

"You were really worried about me?" He smiled, despite his weariness.

"Yeah, don't go getting a swelled head or anything."

"I do adore you. You know that?"

"You stop that now, you hear? I'm at work."

He leaned back, sighing. "I wish you were here, in my bed."

"Oh, shit. You were sleeping. I'm sorry, Steve. I woke you up. I never thought of that."

"I don't mind you waking me, believe me."

"And you have to be at work again tonight, right?"

"Yes."

"How do you do it?"

"I don't know. I need to get off nights."

"It's not natural. You can't function like that."

Pausing to think about it, he said, "You really do care about me, don't you?" He expected a snappy answer back in self-defense.

A long pause followed and then she just whispered, "Maybe I do."

"Ohhh, baby, baby ... please ... tell me when I can see you again. Don't be elusive and vague. Give me a day."

"When are you off next?"

"Monday, Tuesday. But--I can take any night off if you just let me know."

"Monday, Tuesday? Wow, those are some really romantic days of the week."

"They rotate. I'll have a weekend off here soon."

"Okay, Monday."

"Really?"

"After work--I'll see you."

"What do you want to do?"

"I don't know. What the hell can we do on a damn Monday?" She laughed.

"Come here ... come to my place."

She purred, "All right..."

"Do you want to come straight after work? I can get us something to eat."

"Sounds nice."

"Yes! I am so excited! Sonja, just talking to you makes me hot."

"Don't you go playing with that thing without me!"

"I won't. It's all yours."

"All right. Let me let you get some rest."

"Thanks for calling. I really appreciate it. And I can't wait to see you Monday."

"Sleep. I'll see you soon."

"Bye, baby.